Subject: Re: Ximian's proprietary connector for open source Evolution
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 05 Dec 2001 18:15:44 -0500

That was certainly a model we'd considered for Mekinok: interface
modules for Tivoli, for example, that were themselves proprietary
(because, after all, you were spending that much money on tivoli, you
presumably had money to spend on a gateway tool...) but fit in to the
free structure.  (At least part of the reason for this was to allow us
to buy components for the gateway if we needed to...  if you were
going to have to pay for a dev library to build the app anyway, being
able to get it complete in one place for one price instead of having
to assemble it yourself from seperately licensed pieces made a lot of
sense.)

We didn't get that far, in practice.  Part of the justification was
also that we weren't going to replace tivoli any time soon, so we'd
have to coexist with it - I suspect there's similar logic for Ximian
wrt Exchange as well...