Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:33:25 -0800

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:27:57PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> In general, the open source software universe has this problem, which
> is how to assure that smart people can make a living doing free/open
> source software. Writing good large programs is a full time job, and
> people need to have ways to paying for that.
>
> Having started a company dedicated to an open source product (NetBSD
> in my instance), let me say that this is a hard problem.

 Agreed. It's alot easier for someone to make a living of selling drugs,
 or prostituting themseleves, than it is for someone to make a living
 of doing good for the community. That's one of the things I hate about
 Capitalism. It's designed around the dollar, not around progress, or
 freedom.

 Money talks! and it's louder than us!

--
  Nick Jennings