Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Date: 03 Jan 2002 15:47:43 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> I agree that users use only a few applications.  I think the
> applications which matter are: browser, e-mail reader, appointment and
> contact manager, word processor, spreadsheet, presentation creator.
> Perhaps diagram creator, desktop publisher, web site creator, and
> image editor.  Pretty soon I expect that we can add movie editor and
> music editor.

Accounting software, too. My CFO can't switch without accounting
software. Sadly, the availability of open source seems to be
proportional to the interest level of the average hacker in the area,
and hackers who are personally very into accounting are rare. GnuCash
won't cut it for this (even if it was a decent quicken replacement
which it isn't yet.)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com