Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Date: 03 Jan 2002 16:04:06 -0500

Harald Koch <chk@pobox.com> writes:
> Most individuals I know are interested in maximizing "standard of
> living", an entirely different measure which (after a certain point) is
> only loosely related to income.
>
> This is one of the disconnects between pure free-market capitalism and
> reality; money is not the only measure of progress or perfection.

I'd disagree. Above a certain level, you're buying lifestyle, which is
as much a good as rice or paint. You trade income potential for
enjoyment in life, which is no different than trading money for
broccoli.

Unpleasant jobs will have a different set of supply and demand curves
associated with them for precisely this reason.

However, this isn't an economics discussion list.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com