Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:18:43 -0700 (MST)

    I recognize that from your point of view it's an "if you're not part
    of the solution, you're part of the problem" issue.

You are attributing to me views that were expressed by someone else.
They are not mine.  Neutrality is an option in most situations,
including that one.  That particular activity struck me as harmful,
not neutral.  I decided we should neutral instead.

    It did obstruct cooperation.

If it did, that was a side issue.  I decided not to partipate in this
particular cooperative effort because it was going in a direction I
did not like.  We have made our aims clear for years; I am sorry if
you expected us to set them aside, but you should have known better.

    If GNU believed in cooperation, then it would consider cooperating in
    a generally positive effort, even though it involved a temporary
    setback for one particular area.

I was not convinced it would be temporary; I saw nothing to show it
would be.  I decided not to bet that it would be.  And if it had not
been, this would have done more harm than good.

    I see win-win written all over that deal.

I do make deals like this when they seem win-win to me.  I don't know
if I thought of that particular idea at the time, but (for the reasons
already stated) I would have been dubious about it if I had.