Subject: RE: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:32:23 -0500

> Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> wrote:
>
> > Businesses, to be as successful as they can, must not
> > adopt any morality.

I agree about morality, but not about values.

The key word in the phrase "business relationship" is "relationship".
This means that businesses must have values, and must honor them.
Successful businesses don't sell products, they sell continuing
relationships.

This means that it is sometimes appropriate, as a business strategy, to
take a position that some would consider ethically or morally motivated.
Two examples that seem possibly relevant to open source businesses in
particular:

1. We do not tolerate false dealing. With us, you will always see what
you get.

2. We take our commitment to our customer relationship seriously. If a
customer is dissatisfied with us, we believe they have a *right* to seek
a better solution without disrupting or risking their business. This is
why NewCo considers Open Source one of our core values.

shap