Subject: Re: developers & marketing
From: ian@cygnus.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 01:01:20 -0500 (EST)

In fsb ghost@aladdin.com (L. Peter Deutsch) writes:

[ I'm extracting a single sentence from a larger article which I
  generally agree with. ]

>I believe, or at least hope, that
>the Web is rendering much of traditional marketing obsolete and reducing the
>need for a marketing function overall.

Traditional marketing serves two functions: advertising, and
competitive analysis.  I assume that you are referring to advertising
here.

I think that the Web leads to information overload, and thus makes it
even harder for people to get their products noticed, and thus leads
to an increase, rather than a decrease, in advertising.

It will be more and more difficult to figure out how people are
getting their information (i.e., which web pages they are looking at),
which will lead marketing departments to spend time and effort to
determine what people are looking at, and how to advertise where
people are looking.  For certain products, people are likely to seek
out comparative reviews, and marketing departments will try to
identify which reviews people use, and how to get the reviewer to
review their product favorably.

In short, I see an increase in marketing efforts, not a decrease.

Remember, lots of people like ads.  Also, without ads, we don't know
what to buy, and in a consumer driven culture it's important that
people buy things.  When people stop buying things, we have a
depression, which is bad for everybody.  (I'm not sure whether I'm
just being cynical or whether this is just an inevitable
characteristic of capitalism.)

Ian