Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:37:21 +0200
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:37:21 +0200
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:48:40PM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> I am considering releasing some small Perl applications as Open Source
> Shareware.  I haven't decided which Open Source License I want to use,
> but that isn't what I'm asking about.
>
> Rather, I'd like to know what youall think about the compatibility of
> the "Open Source" and "Shareware" memes.

I don't think Free Software (what you call "Open Source") and Shareware
are compatable concepts. What you actually mean is what you describe
as b) below.

> This leaves me with (a) linking certain forms of support to subscription
> and (b) relying on the "honor" system.

This basically means to make your service tangible to users
and constantly show them what value paying you will provide them.

> Finally, I'd like to know of any existence proofs of the success or failure
> of this approach.

I can't think of a possible proofs in ether direction.
The conditions are changing more and more towards Free Software
thus raising the chances that people will want to pay for service.
There have not been many intelligent ideas to make b) happen
and educate the people about the advantages it has.

--
Professional Service for Free Software                 (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                       (freegis.org)

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]