Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Claus Sørensen <cs@oersted.dtu.dk>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:16:44 +0000

 Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:16:44 +0000
Fredag den 13. september 2002 05:48 skrev Rich Morin:

> Fortunately, the market I have in mind (Mac OS X users) has a history
> of being open to the idea of paying for software.  And, if I don't
>  force  them to look at my source code, they probably won't mind that
> it's available (:-).

I am talking about GPL here:

You don't have to put the source code a long the binary product that you
sell, give away or can be downloaded for free or not. But you should
give a written offer for users to get the source code for no more costs
than the distribution cost.

If none of your customers/users are interested in the source code they
will proberly not buy it for the distribution costs.

The distribution costs could be 20$ for burning, handling and shipping a
cdrom with the code.

If you want users to contribute to your project with code then this is
not a good idea to "hide" the code behind distribution costs but
instead put on the web for free download.

Double licenses with Shareware and GPL:

You could also have a shareware version which has some limitations or
irritations for people who has not bought the GPL version (free
software is not gratis software).

For new versions the source code is only available by ordering a cdrom
for distribution costs.

For older versions the source code is available through download so
users can contribute to the old code which can be included in newer
versions.

I hope you get the picture.

Or you can take a look at how the projects Sendmail, Ghostview and
OpenOffice.org/StarOffice do it.

The most enjoyable greetings
--
Claus Sørensen        Electromagnetic Systems    Phone:  +45 45 88 14 44
System Administrator       Ørsted * DTU          Fax:    +45 45 93 16 34