Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 16 Sep 2002 12:33:47 -0400

Indeed, macosx has become a "test case" for good vs. free -- people
who use linux because it's a *useful* desktop/laptop unix (ships with
perl, emacs, kerberos, "plays well with others" on the net) rather
than because it is a *free* one, seem to be finding that OSX serves
pretty well there, plus it gets you some "next level"[1] applications
like video processing... very seductive.  And "software update" is
nice -- it's one reason my mom has an OSX desktop at home now, instead
of a windows one.

As for OSX on servers, the "real" issue there is that mac servers
aren't as *good* as suns or as *cheap* as x86, so they've got an
anti-niche :-)
							_Mark_

[1] next level: mp3 audio was something that you really *couldn't do*
on a 486, you needed at least a p90 to do at all, and a bit more to do
well -- to me, this constitutes a "level" that divides systems, a case
where "faster is different" instead of just "faster is faster".  I see
video editting, dvd production, that sort of thing, as being the next
"level" and the reason Ghz-class machines matter - they allow people
to "do something new" and share it with others, in ways that weren't
really practical before.