Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:10:18 -0400

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 07:47:36PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> So, anyone care to define 'FSB'?

Not yet.

Can we agree on businesses that are/aren't (or were/weren't) FSBs?

My short list of FSBs (incomplete):
	Aladdin
	Covalent      (What's your take on this Brian?)
	Easy Software (the CUPS people)
	Great Bridge  (RIP)
	MySQL
	RedHat
	Scriptics     (RIP)
	Sleepycat
	Sourcefire    (snort)
	SuSE
	Ximian
	Zope Corp

All of these business work on true open source products (i.e., not
something that's just free for non-commercial use like TrollTech).
Many of them release software under the GPL, and make money off of
secondary services (consulting, support, maintenance contracts), and/or
through relicensing under proprietary licenses.

I think Russ mentioned the term "lifestyle business" a few weeks
ago.  Two or three on this list might qualify as lifestyle businesses;
I'm not sure what that means for the overall health/idea of an FSB...

Z.