Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:50:27 -0700

At 5:10 PM -0700 9/19/02, Brian J. Fox wrote:
>It's my belief that we on this list are looking for business models
>that are sustainable, scalable, and easy to understand.  Being "VC
>Fundable" is one marker that these goals have been achieved.

FWIW, I have no interest in having employees (and even less in dealing
with the demands of VC funding :-).  If my business scales, it will be
in some method that allows me to work as a relatively independent party.

Having said this, I recognize that operations like RedHat and ORA (to
say nothing of IBM :-) need to have employees, chains of command, etc.
I also recognize that they are quite a bit better at extracting money
from the community than cottage industries are.

Recognizing this, I'd like to see a model emerge in which the wealthier
outfits recognize the benefits of subsidizing the poorer (but useful)
ones.  For example, I'd like to see more corporate funds going into the
FSF, the Perl Foundation, etc.  If a company believes that a developer
is doing good work, they should offer a grant.  Tim's support of Larry's
work was a good model for this (and would still be, but for the current
economic realities).

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841