Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:35:12 +0900

Sorry for the self-reply, but this needs a gloss:

    sjt> Their principle reason for participating need not be an
    sjt> ethical one.

That's "principal reason", and I'm referring to something like "I want
to make money in software.  It would be cool if I could do it through
free software, hmm, let's see ...."  I think for most FSBers "cool" is
not about the challenge of making money in defiance of the invisible
hand, it's basically ethical: sharing, contribution to society, etc.

    Tim> [...] but Jim is more fair-minded and open.

    sjt> To me, "but Jim is more _ethical_" an _exact_ translation of
    sjt> your statement.  YMMV.  'Nuff said?

Of course for this to make sense, "Jim" must be "fair-minded and open"
with respect to criticism of _his own behavior_; it can't be merely
academic discussion.