Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 23:09:33 -0700

   From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
   Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:34:09 +0900

   It's not about licenses per se.  It's about the market power of the
   FSF, which deliberately has reserved that market power through its
   licensing policies, and unceasingly seeks to expand it through means
   which are in no way limited to persuading other developers of the
   correctness of FSF policies.  Those means include the use of IP as a
   club[1].

   [1]  The Aladdin Ghostscript/GNU readline case.  Peter Deutsch said
   that Brian Fox, the _author_ of readline, disagreed with RMS.

I did (and do, to some extent) disagree with RMS on certain details,
such as applying the GPL to readline, instead of the LGPL.  I don't
disagree with him enough to have written a replacement (the original
took a weekend to create, and perhaps 3 additional days of cumalative
hacking to get to where I was happy with it).

I find the discussion amusing.  M$ and FSF?  RMS wants the world to
agree with his philosophical stance -- he feels that if they do, then
the right things will happen.  He uses tools of persusion, not tools
of coercion.  He doesn't *have* any tools of coercion!

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
    Liberte', E'galite', Fraternite'