Subject: Re: Recommendations for Basic Economics Guide.
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:33:05 -0400

I've picked up some economics from context, and I've read or tried
to read three or four books, none of which gave me a sense of
having any solid ground under my feet.  What did were two sets of
lectures on tape from the Teaching Company (which is not the scam
I frankly expected it to be).  Both are by Prof. Timothy Taylor of
Macalaster College, (a first-tier liberal arts school in Minnesota).
He must be a hell of a lecturer in person to come through so well
on tape while I'm driving in Boston traffic.  They're "Economics"
and "Legacies of Great Economists" (personally, I found that I
could make a lot more sense out of economics by understanding the
historical context in which economic ideas developed, and if I
were doing it again, I'd listen to "Legacies" first); descriptions
and ordering information at

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/coursedescriptions/P523.asp and
http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/coursedescriptions/PA528.asp

---Alex