Subject: Re: Recommendations for Basic Economics Guide.
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:03:25 +0900

Serendipity, digging around in my bookshelves for completely different
reasons I found a couple of old friends (the other was "Obfuscated C"
:).  I had to come up with something better than Thurow to counter von
Mises, and there it was.

Thomas Schelling, _Choice and Consequences_, especially the first
essay, where he tells you why the market is such a good thing ... and
then explains how to justify intervention in terms that require appeal
to religious belief to disprove.  :-)  His _Strategy of Conflict_ is
an acknowledged classic, and _Micromotives and Macrobehavior_ I
thought was insightful when I last read it.