Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:43:53 -0700

begin Brian Behlendorf quotation of Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:08:53AM -0700:

> Everyone knows my biases, but I think there's a pretty reasonable point
> here.  A "university" license would, in my opinion, be the most
> appropriate license for government-funded software to be released under.

When you combine

 1. a requirement for publicly funded work to use a non-copyleft license,
 2. the patentablity of software, and
 3. Bayh-Dole and "technology transfer" programs at universities and
    other institutions

the "no copyleft" requirement becomes, in effect, an "all
government-funded software _must_ become proprietary" requirement.

Get rid of items 2 and 3, and item 1 would work.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti