Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:08:33 -0800

 Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:08:33 -0800
On 10/31/02 9:27 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

> I think you should reread "Homesteading the No÷sphere."  Having
> participated in a couple of code-sharing experiments at XEmacs (ie,
> XEmacs tried to borrow somebody else's code), I think that the
> technical barriers to code sharing are quite high.  I suspect that
> this is another in the list of things that money can buy better than
> love.

I think that you're interpreting "re-use" too narrowly, Stephen.  It is hard
to re-use code by integrating it into a completely different project.  But
if I can, say, just go to cpan and get the module I need without writing any
code, I've just accomplished a huge amount of re-use.  The re-use in
question is a product of an architecture and environment that makes it
possible for us to leverage each others' work more easily than we could in a
proprietary software environment.

Of course, there is this kind of re-use in proprietary software as well, but
the barriers are much higher, and pieces available for re-use are typically
aggregated into much larger packages for purposes of pricing.

1-707-829-0515 http://www.oreilly.com, http://tim.oreilly.com