Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:30:44 +0500

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> I've always thought it a shame that the OSI didn't seize the obvious
> opportunity to divorce "non-closed" from "non-proprietary."  From an
> engineering standpoint, all the benefits of free software stem from
> its non-closed-ness.  Non-proprietary has nothing to do with it, that
> I can think of at the moment, anyway.
[...]

If that was true, then you would have expected to see
more successes with "almost open" licenses like Sun's
Community Source License.  But they have uniformly
failed abysmally.  My belief is that the blatant power
grab kills any community spirit before it has a chance
to get started.  And without that spirit you don't get
the dynamics that can make free software work.

Put another way, the accuracy of your statement is
based on the the classic tendancy of engineers to
ignore the importance of people issues.

Cheers,
Ben