Subject: Re: GPL Compliance Toolset
From: Keith Bostic <bostic@sleepycat.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:25:45 -0500 (EST)

> If you use third-party code you need to track its
> license restrictions.  GPL code is no more and no less difficult.

The two approaches have different weaknesses.

Proprietary code requires a purchase order or receipt, for at
least the initial purchase, and it can be tracked by both the
vendor and the company.  GPL'd code can be downloaded and used
by the most junior guys without anyone else being aware of it.

Alternatively, it's usually a problem when people copy licensed
proprietary code around the office, and it's not to copy GPL'd
code in the same way, that is, if you satisfy the requirements
of the GPL, creating new copies doesn't cause problems.

So, I agree GPL code is no more or less difficult, but it's a
different set of problems.  Part of the last 5 years has been
corporations getting comfortable with that new set of problems.

Regards,
--keith

Keith Bostic			bostic@sleepycat.com
Sleepycat Software Inc.		keithbosticim (ymsgid)
118 Tower Rd.			+1-781-259-3139
Lincoln, MA 01773		http://www.sleepycat.com