Subject: Re: $1,250
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:15:58 -0800 (PST)

Russ,

        why do you make me do this to you?

I don't.  It is your choice and, I think, one you might want
to reconsider.

I _agree_ that whining sucks.  I don't like having to do it.  I don't
like the circumstance at all.  Part of the reason I try to give such
generous readings to the people who flame me is because, hell, in some
important ways, I basically agree with them.  It all indicates that
_something_ has gone wrong -- perhaps with me, or perhaps external to
me -- most probably somewhere in between, really.

On the other hand, whining has _partially worked_:  that is the point
I was trying to make to make to bfox.   I've raised money.  I've
attracted volunteers to the project.   I've attracted advocates to the
project.  I've progressed towards getting project wins.  I've survived,
against all odds -- and that is an FSB accomplishment worth noting.

	It's your total failure to LISTEN to the wise advice that
	you're getting.

No, that's a rumor, not a fact.   It's a rumor that I don't listen
and change tactics.   It's a rumor that all of the advice is wise.

Russ: how many other nascent free software projects with commercial
ambitions are there that have, in the past month, raised over $1K just
by virtue of asking?   Are you _really_ sure I'm _that_ wrong?

Trying to be a little inspirational:  my opinion is that mixing
business and responsible engineering is damn hard.   One thing that
disappoints me about some threads on FSB is the lack of depth on
issues of software engineering.   Beyond merely whining about the
state of the arch project, I've at least _tried_ to improve that
situation by raising questions about engineering issues.   There are
some minority voices on the list (not just me!) that I think are
interested in those questions.

When someone first pointed me to FSB, many years ago, it was presented
as a kind of community bulletin board for a group interested in
starting some new commercial practices, against impossible odds, in
part to reconcile an engineering-ethics commitment with a capitalist
orientation.  I think the risk the list currently faces is that of being
reduced to a platform of pontification for armchair and academic
economists and semi-retired execs who are still caught up in 10 year
old grudge matches.

-t