Subject: Re: Advertising on Usenet
From: "Russell Nelson" <nelson@CRYNWR.COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1993 15:52:23 EST

On Sun, 21 Feb 93 19:53 GMT, "Pete Chown" <pc123@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>    Yes, Virginia, it is possible to advertise on Usenet without getting
>    flamed.  Here are the rules to remember:
>
>      o The recipient of the message has paid cash to receive it.
>
> Hmm.  I don't like paying cash to receive unsolicited advertising.

Right.  Strictly speaking, you cannot "advertise" on Usenet, not in
the normal sense of the word.  Completely unsolicited advertising
would probably get you flamed.  But, any time someone asks a question
that's related to your product, you should answer it and push your
product.

For example, I have never posted a direct advertisement of packet
driver support on Usenet.  But my signature mentions it every time I
answer someone's question, so it's always in people's faces.  Should
anyone ask the question "Gee, I wonder if packet drivers are
supported", or "How do I get packet driver support", I would
cheerfully post my advertisement.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> What canst *thou* say?
Crynwr Software           Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.