Subject: Re: WebSphere in Netcraft Apache numbers?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 01:48:37 -0800
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 01:48:37 -0800
on Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:46:21AM -0800, Tim O'Reilly (tim@oreilly.com) wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> >From: Mike Prettejohn <mhp@beta.netcraft.com>
> >Date: March 28, 2004 9:57:55 AM PST
> >To: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
> >Subject: Re: Fwd: Hal's  new white paper
> >
> >: > Do you guys know (I've always wondered)?...does NetCraft roll the
> >: > WebSphere numbers in with Apache numbers?  Or is the 68% cleanly
> >OSS
> >: > Apache?
> >
> >If its got Apache in the server header then we'll include it with the
> >Apache numbers.
> >Neither the Oracle nor the IBM badge engineered Apache's have any great
> >number of sites, though they do have plenty of "enterprise class"
> >customers,
> >particularly the IBM one.

Interesting.  Reminds me of a question I tossed to Brian Behlendorf
after reading (the otherwise very good)  Social Life of Information  by
John Sealy Brown.  Which I just realized now is a very strong
pre-criticism of the offshoring phenomenon....

JSB, working for "The Document Company", Xerox, fails to include more
than a token reference to the Web (if at all), and none at all for
Apache.  Which, as a "document engine", likely turns out more pages in a
day than all of Xerox's capacity does in a month or a year.  I found
this to be a very telling oversight.

And in a roundabout way for a roundabout post, I'll note that the Dow
Jones Industrial Average was rejiggered again today.  Among the outs are
Kodak, International Paper, and AT&T.  Among the ins, Verizon, AIG, and
Pfizer.  I don't recall if Xerox ever  was  among the 30, but its day is
long past.  It's the end of emulsion, paper, and landlines.  But
\/|@gr/\, finance, and cell phones?

Hmm.

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!  http://www.savebobedwards.com/