Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:49:47 -0500

> I didn't say that they could download it.

Well, ok.  I think we're using the same words for different concepts
again.  There are lots of different shades of "free" software.  The
kind I'm describing is freely redistributable in source, and attempts
to attain maximum distribution and maximum use while charging users
for no more than the cost of distribution.

If you lock up "free" software with all those restrictions then it
becomes indistinguishable from proprietary software.  Quite a few
proprietary vendors are giving out source code now.  I like the
practice, but it doesn't make their software free.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org