Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:49:25 +0100

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:47 -0500, Peter Wayner wrote:
> And don't forget the BSD world. Bill Joy brought plenty of that code
> base with him when he left Berkeley for Sun. While I don't really know
> exactly what code flowed into and out of Sun, I'm sure there were some
> contributions to the BSD base.

I don't know either, but here is a good approximation: 100% of open
source BSD went into Sun, 0% of Sun went into open source. I just
looked at all three *BSD web sites, and no mention of Sun
contributions. Just look at http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/org/
you'll find the whole software industry but not Sun.

Sun just terminated the Java (binary) license for BSD IIRC
after causing an endless stream of trouble for the porting
team anyway.

> Furthermore, Sun brought legitimacy to
> the BSD world and made it one of the major foundations of the Internet.
> Even if you can't count the exact number of lines, just moral support
> is very important. Microsoft ended up grabbing the BSD TCP/IP stack for
> some of their early forays into the Internet. Without the weight of
> Sun, the winning protocols could have been proprietary.

TCP/IP won not just because of Sun, but because 99%
of all vendors supported it. Microsoft probably grabbed
the BSD stack because they were foolish enough
to say the internet wasn't important and they
were going to replace it with Windows, remember?

Laurent