Subject: Re: Epistemology of FS
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:24:57 +0900

>>>>> "kms" == Karsten M Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

    kms> Here in the Bay Area we've got Hal Varian, dean of the School
    kms> of Information Management Science, at Berkeley.

Hal is a smart guy, and a good one, but he's not done research on
_open source_ last I talked to him (part of that is due to being dean,
of course), and he's never done empirical work to speak of.  This last
is quite important to this discussion.

He's a user of open source though, one of the earliest converts to TeX
in the economics profession, and production his recent books are all
managed with various open source TeX tools, *nix, emacs, and rcs.