Subject: User Views
From: burley@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Craig Burley)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 93 12:35:31 -0500

Well, the column seemed to be primarily concerned with networking
software, and did say some free software was excellent.

I suggest you point out that there exists paid-for support for
free software, that there are non-PD forms, and there are forms
that always come with source code, and such, but only as highlights.

Then maybe you should have some info on high-quality free networking
software, maybe things like Taylor UUCP, include contact info
for support, describe ease of installation, admit that there's
still a long way to go, and say something about how free software
has generally gotten to the point that it at least keeps proprietary
developers more honest (their stuff has to at least work) and, in
some cases, really pushes them (as I suspect is the case for GNU CC
and GNU EMACS, if not others).

A little note about how PC-compatibles can run UNIX clones linked
together via Ethernet with NFS and such, by running 386BSD (or
maybe Linux), and having X-Windows and such, all for free, might
help.  There's lots of progress to be made, but it's being made
rapidly now, from what I can tell.

        tq vm, (burley)