Subject: Re: support for a small US college going GNU?
From: robin <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:46:42 -0400

Joe Corneli wrote:

>I've been corresponding a little with the new CIO of my "alma mater"
>(New College of Florida, a small public "liberal arts" school in
>Sarasota) about switching the college over to GNU/Linux.  It seems
>iffy, but if whole governments can do it, I think a small, liberal,
>college ought to be able to achieve the same thing.  Furthermore, I
>think the issue of security should cinch the argument.  But the CIO,
>Erich Matola, points out that switching architectures would require
>funding.  Presumably this is true; does anyone have an idea about the
>actual numbers here?  Are there people out there who can get in a bid
>that would blow MS/Apple out of the water?

I can put Erich in touch with members of the local Linux Users Group --
http://suncoastlug.org/ -- which has a number of professional
consultants as members, plus *ahem* as a Florida taxpayer (and New
College neighbor) I'll happily help him find the most cost-effective
solution myself.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor in Chief, OSTG
Bradenton, Florida