Subject: Re: OT: Carriage return inserts in MS Exchange email -- fix?
From: "A. Pagaltzis" <pagaltzis@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:41:30 +0200

* Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2005-07-21 01:10]:
> As some of you may see in the text below, Kelly's mail messages
> are appearing here with spurious carriage return (hex 0x0D)
> added to line feeds.

I’ve had the same problem for a while.

> He's running MS Outlook, sent through MS Exchange, format is
> quoted-printable. Other mail with similar characteristics
> doesn't have this issue, including several on this list.
>
> Does anyone know what's happening and/or how this can be fixed?
> It's somewhat annoying.

Add “;format=flowed” to the Content-Type and watch the CRs
disappear from view. At least in mutt. I’m not sure this is the
right fix, to be honest; but it’s the only thing which managed to
excise those pesky CRs. (See <http://www.joeclark.org/ffaq.html>
as well as RFC2646.)

Took me a while to debug this, let me tell ya. I had taken to
filtering Kelly’s messages through a “s/=OD//g”.

Another annoyance is that he is one of the few frequent posters
on the list who uses a MUA that does not supply threading headers
(In-Reply-To, References).

Regards,