Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:21:13 -0700

 Fri, 12 May 2006 21:21:13 -0700
On 5/12/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

>     Michael> I believe estimates are 1-2 million women and children
>     Michael> are sold as sex slaves every year.
>
> I agree that that is slavery, but I should have specifically excluded
> it from the kind of slavery can be abolished for economic reasons.
>
> Those slaves are *consumed*, and as long as people (speaking *very*
> loosely) have a taste for such consumption, it will never be
> abolished.  :-(  The kind of slavery that can be abolished is the kind
> that is a substitute for wage or salaried labor.

We have proven ourselves unable to abolish even that part of slavery
that is a substitute for wage or salaried labour.

Incidentally from articles that I've read, my impression is that a
large part of the trade in sex slaves winds up with slaves going to
brothels.  The customers at the brothels are not even necessarily
aware that they are dealing with a slave rather than an employee.

Could we have found a more depressing subject to lead into Mother's Day with?

Cheers,
Ben