Subject: RE: now "slavery and intellectual property"
From: "Anderson, Kelly" <KAnderson@dentrix.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:27:17 -0600

 Tue, 16 May 2006 13:27:17 -0600
The result of this 1808 legislation was that more internal "breeding" of
slaves occurred and imports of new slaves from Africa to the US dropped
to near zero. The original assertion was that the importation slowed due
to economic pressures of some kind. I was pointing out that I don't
believe that to be the case, that the legislation had more to do with it
than the economics of the situation. (Of course legislation drives
economics too.) There was a large enough slave population at that point
that internal population growth amongst the slaves already here was
enough to meet the demands of the situation.

The 1808 law clearly did not outlaw slavery of the decendents of those
already in slavery. And I'm sure there was "illegal immigration" of
cheap labor from Africa for many years afterwards. Somewhat reminiscent
of the current situation with Mexico... But it was clearly more
economical to have slaves reproduce here after the legislation changed.

As you might remember from Roots, "breaking in" a new slave from Africa
had it's own expense.

-Kelly