Subject: Re: Anyone know of a free software business list?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:00:57 +0200

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 13:43 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> No, "maximizing utility" is the mistake that Laurent makes.
> Monopolies do not maximize utility; they do make profit.

Huh? I was just pointing out that the poll showed what the profit
maximising strategy of the embedded device entrepreneurs currently is
with respect to competing commercial software offerings based on
different models.

I do agree that sometimes the software monopolies will sometimes do
strange things to maximize their profit (including giving away fo free
to maintain image of success and so profits), but their fundamental
business model is to use government sponsored monopolies to extract per
device fees.

Laurent