Subject: Re: Tom W. Bell paper
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:21:15 -0400

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 23:07 -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> simo writes:
>  > You wouldn't even have the man of the moon without government funding,
>  > let's not think of all the technology the fell down from it.
>
> Please, Simo, I'd like to see some better economics from you.  There
> is no such thing as "government funding".  There is redirected
> taxpayer spending.  Had the government not taken the taxes, taxpayers
> would have spent the money on something else, which would have
> directed investment elsewhere.  The choice is not between government
> spending and no spending.  The choice is between government spending
> and taxpayer spending.

Sorry but I consider this nonsense. It doesn't matter how the government
got the money, what matters in this case is that some research is not
funded by private money, and only a government has enough money and
political will to spend on basic research.

> Let's look at it from a businessman's perspective.  Who would you
> rather have as a customer: the person who earned the money, or the
> person who took it from him?

The person that pay.If we want to look it strictly from a businessman
perspective, I care only of the customer that pay the money, do not
really matter to me where or how they got them.

Simo.