Subject: Re: US Software Patents Hit Record High (fwd)
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:17:29 -0400

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 00:48 +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> simo wrote:
> > The reward already exist in the system in the form that if you are smart
> > enough, you come up to the market with a solution before others can even
> > think of the problem. So you have a 1-2 years competitive advantage over
> > competition that have to run to get to it.
>
> But on the downside, if you come to market with a free software
> solution, mostly nobody will pay you for it.  So you can only use that
> advantage, if you have it, to leverage other types of business that
> might actually get you paid.  And that can be rather hard going, if
> you're small enough to not have the resources for substantial
> development (for free) _and_ another business (for money).
>
> Personally I think the fundamental problem here is that people aren't
> generous enough to pay for these things voluntarily in sufficient
> quantities to pay the development cost.  So we have to do something a
> bit distasteful, one way or another, to get paid.

Free Software requires a bigger bet.
With Free Software you bet that being first and cheap the adoption rate
will be so high that, being you the developer, you will get a
substantial amount of support/customization/certification requests than
any other player. This means playing around a brand, a thing we are
often not very good at.

Simo.