Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:41:53 +0900

Forrest J. Cavalier III writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote (in part):

 > > Casual hacking will be discouraged.
 >
 > I think most of what you wrote was right on, but
 > casual hacking (an oxymoron, but I know what you mean)

I don't know what else to call "fussing with my .xemacs/init.el".
What would you call it?

 > will change to be something the masses can and want to do.
 > YouTube, mashups, MySpace, MMO and other plugging original content
 > into frameworks will be encouraged to the hilt, of course.

Contributing content is *not* hacking.  "Code is law", and content
contribution doesn't address that.  I'm not so sanguine about how
FaceBork and Massively Multiplayer Pass-times are going to encourage
*software* contribution going into the future.

And we're already seeing entrepreneurs pushing casual contributors out
of that space.

 > I question how much original hacking is done now.  In the casual
 > space, I see lots of re-implementation, not frontier hacking.

Always has been, and the economics is not at all casual.  Look what
re-implementation did for the Japanese 1955-1975, the Asian tigers
1980-2000, the PR[1] Chinese 2000-end of Beijing Olympics, and maybe
sooner-later, the Indians (although they don't seem to do so well in
the thing-making areas that so far have driven "miracle" growth as the
more easterly Asians).

Footnotes:
[1]  Public Relations, not to be confused with predecessor People's
Republic, although geographically they're the same.