Subject: Re: open source definition
From: Keith Bostic <bostic@bsdi.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:33:30 -0400 (EDT)

> From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
>
>> OK, does *anyone* know of *any company that got *any money to build
>> software they were going to give away?
>
> I'm sure you can gerrymander the definition well enough so that no
> company qualifies.

True; I've been trying not to do that, but in the heat of the
discussion it's hard to avoid.

> Are you interested in learning how the world works,
> or in proving a point you've pre-decided?

How the world works?  John, I would say that "free software"
qualifies as a noble experiment.  The outcome is still in
question.

> Cygnus got millions of dollars in venture capital to build
> software they were going to give away.

Not in the context of this discussion they didn't.

They got money because they were going to wrap a packaging and
support organization around software that people wanted packaged
and supported.  You and I both know that nobody gave Cygnus
money 'cause they were going to do really cool work on the GNU
toolset and give it away.

And feel free to prove me wrong -- all I ask is that you quote
the paragraphs from the venture capital proposal that discuss
all the great software Cygnus was going to write and then give
away.  :-)

--keith