Subject: Re: Economics of software distribution
From: ghost@ALADDIN.COM (L. Peter Deutsch)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 18:40:45 PDT

> >majority of users can get it from the other sources just mentioned.  You
> >might suggest I raise the distribution price beyond the current $28 a
> >copy, but I can't raise it very much, because it competes with commercial
> >products that come with reasonable end-user documentation *and* support
>                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> and I assume the packaging is much better, and I assume their
> marketing is via magazines etc. Unless you do these things you *will
> not* succeed in the mass-market.

Yes, exactly.  That's why my commercial Ghostscript business is an OEM
business, not an end-user business.  Fortunately some of my customers *do*
want to be in that business, and know what they have to do to compete
effectively.  There's a moderately successful shrink-wrap PC product that
came out last Fall that has Ghostscript in it, in fact.

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
ghost@aladdin.com, ...decwrl!aladdin!ghost ; voice 415-322-0103 ; fax 322-1734
	    "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."