Subject: Re: Non-proprietary software?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@metahtml.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:49:14 -0700

   Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:34:41 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   > For each software construct that you create and place in the pool of
   > shared software, you get a dynamic number of softbucks, which can be
   > used over and over again to procure more software.

   As a software creator I wouldn't be excited by such a plan, because it
   seems unlikely to gain me credits in US Dollars, which I could use
   towards the rent.

Did you leave out the other part of my statement, in which people who
haven't got any softbucks have to make up the rest of the payment in
cash?

As to the rest, you're fucking kidding, right?

Let me just understand this:

    1) You want totally gratis/libre software
    2) You won't create totally gratis/libre software
    3) You want to pay the rent
    4) You can't imagine a situation in which people pay for libre and
       gratis software

By statement 1, you would be a candidate for my plan.

By statement 2, I can tell that you will never produce anything that I
want.

By statement 3, you will have to get a job, perhaps writing
proprietary software.

By rule 4, I guess you don't use linux.

Also by rule 4, I guess there isn't a person on the planet that would pay
for a consumer grade word processor on Linux that reads and writes MS
Word, Word Perfect, and other formats.

Please tell me I'm wrong (like I believe that you won't).

Brian