Subject: Re: How Microsoft Thinks
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:09:44 -0500 (EST)

On 6 Nov 1998, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:47:36 -0500 (EST)
>    From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
>
>    I suspect that "open source" is going to go the way of "escalator", though.
>
> What do you mean?  Is ``escalator'' widely used or not?
>
> I still say ``escalator.''  What else would you call those things?

The Escalator was originally a particular brand of moving stairway.
The Escalator Company (I believe it was) ran an ad in a
large-circulation magazine talking about "escalators" as if they were
everyday items.  Some of its competitors started calling their moving
stairways "escalators".  The company that made the Escalator sued
them.  They lost the case, and their registered trademark, because the
way they used the word in the ad made it sound like it wasn't a
trademark.  Now everybody calls all such moving stairways
"escalators".

I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the company, the date of the
case, the jurisdiction of the case (except that it was in the US), or
the name of the case.

Kragen

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html