Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:12:57 -0500

> I wouldn't want to buy "Netscape Navigator" at a software store and
> find out that it was full of nonstandard extensions

If the bits are different, then I agree the packaging must clearly
divorce itself from the creator's reputation.  But what if the bits
are the same?  Would you buy "Fred's bit-identical copy of Red Hat"
for 10% of the price of real Red Hat?  I suspect you buy "Sunsite's
bit-identical copies" all the time, and expect the creators' brands to
survive an accurate copying process.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text