Subject: Re: How Microsoft Thinks
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:51:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Bob Young wrote:
> It is not yet trademarked, and I suspect that it is not trade-markable
> (word?).

The registration for the trademark has not yet been completed, AFAIK.

I don't see why it wouldn't be trademarkable --- ESR invented the term
in order to trademark it.

> If it becomes a trade-marked -name- we (as a community) are going to have to
> come up with another adjective.  Any suggestions?

Why?  It becomes a certification mark, with a branding program run by
what used to be SPI.  Surely they can be trusted, no?

> Free Software, maybe?  ;-)

Sounds good to me.  :)

Kragen

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html