Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:53:03 -0500

"Ian" == Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

Ian> I was trying to talk about cases where the information does not
Ian> exist in any transferable form.

It clearly makes no sense to talk about transferring information which
does not exist in transferable form.  The act of putting an idea into
a transferrable form is a valuable service for which compensation
should obviously be available; otherwise, people would probably not do
it.

In my opinion, informating being free in no way precludes operating
profitable businesses for the purpose of finding information for other
people, transferring it to them once found, and/or transforming it
into other forms.

I cannot justify a requirement that, without expectation of
compensation, I should put the genealogical history of my wife's
family (beautifully documented in a book on my bookshelf) into a
computer-searchable database simply because that would be a form more
preferred by some users than the form in which it presently exists.
But that seems to be a direct consequence of some of the positions set
forth on this mailing list recently.