Subject: Re: problems with open source
From:Stig Hackvšn <root@hackvan.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:06:58 -0800

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 06:37:53AM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> bruce@perens.com writes:
>  > From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Stig_Hackv=E4n?= <stig@hackvan.com>
>  > > from a business perspective, bruce, discouraging a free replacement with a
>  > > half-free alternative makes a lot of sense.
>  >
>  > Sure, if you as a business person can succeed in killing off a free product
>  > by releasing a half-free alternative, that makes tremendous sense for you.
>
> How do you do this without providing something better?

bruce was suggesting that if you develope something new and you're considering
a source license, then that's bad unless it's open source because people who
need source won't have to choose "build" instead of "buy"...

if i (the hypothetical I) have something that i want to sell, then i want to
discourage others from building a replacement for my product.

	stig

--
Stig        ...  Friend of Hacking      ...  707-987-3236 work@home
Hackvšn      ...  http://hackvan.com     ...  415-264-8754 mobile