Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:19:32 +0100

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Besides, recognition can be a part of the motivation without being the
> primary motivation.  The primary motivation could be, as Scott says,
> to solve a problem.  Once that has been done, it takes only a minor
> extra effort to release it on the net.

My involvement in Apache is a classic example of low-cost entry into
this universe - I wanted a better webserver than CERN, and stumbled
across Apache. It didn't work on my platform, so I fixed it. I got
drafted. At the time I was rather suspicious of the idea that giving
away my hard work could possibly get me anywhere useful, but I decided
to give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that it was
not only useful, it was fun.

I now find that I feel I have something of a duty to the free software
community, which is weird, but that is what gets me going about this
Open Source stuff. If I didn't I'd probably just watch it with wry
interest.

Cheers,

Ben.

--