Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:09:21 +0100

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Ben Laurie writes:
>  > Russell Nelson wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Ben Laurie writes:
>  > >  > However, my fundamental problem with OSI is becoming clearer to me: I am
>  > >  > being asked to endorse[1] a term that is controlled by a closed,
>  > >  > self-appointed group that I have no control over. That group already
>  > >  > appears to be pushing the term in a direction I'm not particularly happy
>  > >  > with,
>  > >
>  > > News to me.  Why?  What?  Where?  When?  How?
>  >
>  > I find myself at a loss for words. Have you been listening at all?
>
> I want you to spell out how we're pushing the term in a direction
> you're not particularly happy with.  My feeling, as an OSI board
> member, is that you, Ben Laurie, is one of the people we need to keep
> happy.  What would you change in the Open Source Definition?  What
> change in our activities would you recommend?

Blimey. It seems to me that you are asking a lot of your audience. If
your setup were a software project it would be totally dead by now.

That said, I'll do my best (the scary thing about this, though, is if
this were code and I got it wrong, I'd be able to correct it tomorrow.
If I get this wrong, you'll blame me forever).

I don't know what, if anything, I'd change in the definition. I haven't
got that far yet. It isn't so badly broken I care, in comparison to the
other brokenness.

What I'd change in your activities:

a) reveal your board member selection process
b) reveal your deliberations
c) visibly accept input from the broad community
d) be democratic
e) be open
f) find out what people actually want from an "open source" badge, and
implement it
g) don't assume you know best
h) don't make it seem that making money is the main reason we should do
"open source" (I agree with Brian here - saving money is what it is
about, and that's the Great Divide). Maybe this should be a).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html