Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 24 May 1999 14:13:13 -0400

   Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 23:32:12 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>

   You probably mean the sourceXchange - www.sourcexchange.com.  I've not
   posted here about it for fear of being seen as spamming, but since it was
   brought up, I'm happy to answer questions about it (privately or
   publicly).

Does it differ significantly from the Free Software Bazaar at
    http://visar.csustan.edu:8000/bazaar/bazaar.html
?

If I were to hire somebody to do some contract programming, I would
either want extensive control, as in hiring an on-site contractor, or
an established reputation for reliability and on-time delivery, as in
hiring Cygnus.

The eBay model meets different needs, since with eBay I only have to
trust that the person owns the object and will reliably send it to me;
other than that, he or she could be a total flake for all I care.

So it's somewhat hard for to imagine that sourceXchange will be used
for anything other than very limited or very lowcost projects.
However, web organizations have certainly defied my expectations many
times in the past.

Ian