Subject: Funding Open Source Development
From: Norman Jacobowitz <normj@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:31:49 -0700

Hi, all ...

Per Russell's suggestion and guidance, I am hoping to start a general
discussion about the new industry of funding Open Source development.

_Please note_: while I am a co-founder of one of the sites that I will
soon mention, I do hope the discussion will include all sites currently
working in this industry, and hope we can all share opinions about the
general industry.  ***This is absolutely not an attempt to generate
interest in my site only, but to begin debate about the industry as a
whole.***  Right now, the founders of both commercial sites are known
to subscribe to this list, hopefully we can all toss around some ideas!

Right now two commercial sites are simultaneously working to provide
funding to Open Source developers.

They are:

http://www.sourcexchange.com/

http://www.cosource.com/

Other non-commercial versions include:

http://visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/bazaar.html

While there are major differences between the above, the general theme
is: allow sponsors to provide funding to entice development of certain
Open Source projects that are not currently underway.

In an effort to start the discussion out as vague as possible, I hope
to ask some general questions:

1) What do you folks think about the concept?

2) Is this paradigm bad/good/amoral/asinine/silly/awesome?

3) Providing that the business model proves successful, should these
methods of engendering development be encouraged?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post; I am nervous about making
it because I don't want to in any way appear to be "spamming" the list.
 I followed Russell's instructions about how to keep it as nuetral as
possible.

Norm

Norman M. Jacobowitz                         mailto:normj@aa.net