Subject: Re: the walls have bears
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:18:37 +0900 (JST)

    >> BTW, if the answer is "aha, but this is not the list for that
    >> question", think again: there are businesses that use Apache
    >> and OpenSSL and I would classify them as FSBs (at least in
    >> respect of their use of those packages).

    rn> Use of; not creation of.  I don't know of any for-profit
    rn> company which has created MIT-licensed software.

I don't get it.  What about X itself, then?

Even with MIT's contribution considered to kill X itself as an
example, some of the important components (to me, as a Japanese ;-)
such as XIM, and some add-ons such as Wnn (up to version 4) were
contributed by Japanese companies for sure, and I imagine there are
similar examples throughout the X distribution, including hardware-
specific servers etc.