Subject: My ears are red (was Re: the walls have ears)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:44:44 +0900 (JST)

Some context:

    Paul> At 01:29 AM 6/2/99 -0400, Brian Bartholomew wrote:

The following were my words.  I don't blame you for Brian's use of a
"designed to be bad" %-P mailer that makes it hard to preserve
attributions _and_ edit out the unnecessary fat in quotes.  But
Brian's not all that gloomy.  :-)

    >>> I participated in a thread on a different list where one of
    >>> the participants put together, in all seriousness, the outline
    >>> of a business plan for such (actually, the wordprocessor
    >>> portion).  It was pretty plausible[1] but IMHO doomed to
    >>> failure.  Hasn't been tested yet, so I don't know.

    Paul> Wow!  What a welcome to the list:

    Paul>   - "doomed to failure" AND

These are deliberately provocative words; theory doesn't seem to
communicate, so I picked an application and made the argument strongly
so I can't be accused of leaving space for weaseling out later ;-)

Note also that my definition of failure is "not winning"; I give a
specific definition of what a "win" is, and it's pretty big.
Survival, even in economic comfort, isn't enough.  It may be for you;
I'm sure it is for most of free software businessmen on the list.  But
nobody else has defined "win" yet while I've been on the list.  But
it's needed: Brock Lynn thinks it inevitable that all software will be
GPL'ed within our lifetimes; the popular demonization of Bill Gates
has it that he thinks that even one copy of Linux running anywhere in
the world is a big win that is an affront to his ego and a threat to
his empire.

Which are we talking about?  Or something in between?  You know what
I'm talking about, or at least you can read it if you care to.

Given a different definition of "win" (one that I bet is plausible to
you and your colleagues), I'll say you're the odds-on favorite ;-)