Subject: Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:19:20 +0900 (JST)

    rn> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
    >> If you take the "all bugs are shallow with enough eyeballs"
    >> argument seriously, it leads to the conclusion that bugfixing
    >> and feature provision should be increasing returns to scale in
    >> user population.  Now, it is true that with "easy" bugs and
    >> features, congestion and coordination problems will quickly
    >> lead to decreasing returns (pace, Steve McConnell).

    rn> You're presuming the absence of a Linus Torvalds to say "We
    rn> have enough kernel hackers.  Go hack Gnome."  You're further
    rn> presuming that the feedback from the c & c problems won't be
    rn> noticed.

I seem to have neglected to respond to this.

The point is simply that if Linus notices "we have enough" or anybody
perceives "feedback, then we're in the "decreasing returns" region, at
lesat with respect to a specific project.  And that's what everybody's
been talking about.

And if the allocation of hacker talent to projects is efficient, then all
projects will have the same returns to scale.